Becoming a Junior Bookkeeper is a very healthy start down the road to a career in bookkeeping and accounting. With us you only need a grade ten to start this qualification, and you can get your qualification in only one year if study carefully. Once you have passed the four subjects in this course you apply for the Senior Bookkeeping course to continue growing your career.
National Certificate: Bookkeeping NQF L3 – SAQA ID 58375 (ICB Designation – Junior Bookkeeper)
Careers for a Junior Bookkeeper
- Accounts Clerk
- Debtors Clerk
- Creditors Clerk
- Payroll Clerk
- Accounts Payable / Receivable Clerk
- Grade 10 (Std 8) or equivalent
- No prior accounting knowledge needed
- You must be at least 16 years of age
- Recommended 12 months of study
This programme is accredited by the QCTO SETA. Your certificate will be issued by the FASSET SETA.
- Business Literacy
- Bookkeeping to Trail Balance
- Payroll and Monthly SARS Return
- Computerised Bookkeeping
- Completion of the monthly bookkeeping function to trial balance.
- Debtors Clerk function
- Supplier statement reconciliation – Creditors Clerk function
- Inventory systems and bank statement reconciliation
- Payroll Clerk function from a bookkeeping perspective including calculation of PAYE/SDL/UIF remuneration and the monthly EMP deductions and completion of the monthly EMP201 returns
- Completion of annual IRP 5, IRP 6 and IT 3a documents, IRP 501 and VAT201 return using both the manual submission system and E-Filing.
- Junior Tax Administrator (JTA) status as a member of the South African Institute of Tax Practitioners being permitted to complete SARS returns other than Income Tax assessment returns.
What you will be able to do once you complete this level?
- Monthly bookkeeping to trial balance
- Reconcile suppliers
- Inventory and bank statements
- Calculate PAYE / UIF / SDL
- Payroll tax and other deductions
- EMP501, IRP5, IRP6 and IT3a documents and VAT returns
Important information about being a Junior Bookkeeper
Bookkeeping is a scarce skills in South Africa. That means that we do not have enough trained and qualified people in the country to fill the number of jobs available in bookkeeping. That means that if you are a trained and qualified bookkeeper you will be able to find a job quite easily compared to areas where there is not a scarce skill.
Another great thing about the junior bookkeeper program is that you don’t need a Matric to qualify. And when you have completed all 4 subjects in this course you will be able to apply for the next level of qualification. In this way you can get all the way to a Diploma in Financial Accounting. Accountants are also scarce, and they are very well paid. So starting with a junior bookkeeper qualification is a great start to a very promising career.
If you want more information on being our ICB Junior Bookkeeper programme following the link to read further.
Last updated: June 09, 2017